Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Of Rumi And Shakespeare

There was a time when nothing gave me more pleasure in this world than to read and write poetry, stories and sketch. I poured my heart and soul onto paper - whether in words or images.

Although this blog is dedicated primarily to fiber-y pursuits on which I pour inspiration, I still love poetry, art and writing. And last night, while reviewing some back up cd's from old computers, I found this:


I still have the original drawing from where this image has been manipulated from, and it features one of Rumi's beautiful poetry that so resonates with me, and constantly reminds me of the beauty of each person who comes into my life. You may have to click on the image to view a bigger image...

And while browsing Youtube, I found something that reminded me of my first discovery of poetry outside of mandatory school reading like Annabel Lee or The Raven, and which truly opened my mind to the power of the word.

It was a book that belonged to my older brother called Shakespeare's Sonnets (required reading for his high school although we never touched it in my school - they prefered to dwell more on religious topics). I so loved Sonnet 30, and lo and behold, I found it, read by Matthew McFadyen:


Oh that voice! He can read me poetry every night - I don't think you'd hear me ever complain :)

No comments: