Friday, December 26, 2008

Cafe Au Lait

It's not everyday that I get to knit something from my handspun - and actually finish it! Right now I've got two projects from handspun that's been on hiatus.

However last night, while sitting at home and watching Tropic Thunder ("I know who I am! I’m the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude!" - Kirk Lazarus), I decided to be brave and knit something out of the first handspun yarn spun from the now-returned Louet Julia (I miss her, but I've got another wheel coming within the next week - stay tuned).

And speaking of wheels, I am totally envious of Jamie for getting a Mach 1 by Spinolution wheel for Christmas! I can't wait to see it!

Okay, back to the scarf. This was spun from Crosspatch Creations' Little Lassie. I plied the first skein which was spun bulky with some white merino singles while the next skeins were plied with the same roving. But because for the second skein I was following instructions (more like suggestions) on how to spin the roving, I spun it really thin and so I had to double up the second one as I knit with it.

Cafe Au Lait Handspun Scarf
I also thought I didn't have enough yarn (I'm pretty notorious for not measuring yardage...well, I measure, sure. I just don't write it down!), but in the end I still had 2 yards left over. Not too shabby.

Now I just need to figure out how to soften this handspun up since it's pretty tightly plied in some places and not feeling too soft against the skin. But soft enough for now.

No comments: