Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Purveyors of Fine Goods Abound in My Life - Thank You!

Let me present to you Mary Francis' "Clown Flashlight", her homage to the monthly OC Night Spinner's night. Well, I don't really need to tell you anything - you can see for yourself, it's pretty cool! Leo even had a laugh when I came home with it. Now Mary Francis is a hoot - an old pro who's totally so young at heart she puts me and my crabby self (yes, sometimes I am crabby) to shame. From now on, I am forever 30.

You see, last night I attended my first ever spinning night with Jamie, aka FiberFreek and purveyor of fine wondrous fiber from Hudson Valley Sheep and Wool Co. In fact, let me show you my recently acquired stash, too! Well, in a minute or so...let me tell you a bit more about the fun evening of spinning and meeting new friends and just hanging out.

I met so many new people there that I can't quite remember their names at the moment. Many of them, though, had Ashford Joys and I got to see a Woolee Winder in action, too. I like the portability of an Ashford BUT I also like the wheels I currently have. And for now I'm curtailing any new wheel acquisitions. You see, I've got my eye on a drum carder...

Anyway one of the folks last night was Jerry aka Twisted Knitster and he has a Fricke, too, just like me. He saw the Fricke and amazement was written all over his face. Wow! Another Fricke owner! She has seen the light, too! Jerry spins the most beautiful finest yarn I've ever seen. He spins using the highest ratio and he just goes! And goes! Now I know what I must have looked like spinning so fast on my Julia. But really, he spins the heavenliest singles!

As for my latest acquisitions, here they are! Clockwise from the top is black shetland, then you've got some white Romney (both from Hudson Valley Sheep and Wool Co, courtesy of Jamie - thank you thank you thank you!) and finally, something from Mary Frances - a handful of exquisite mohair! She had bought a whole bag, didn't like it and sold the bag for a $1. I wasn't the taker (although I would have wanted it all to myself!), but it was shared generously by its new owner whose name escapes me at the moment and I don't want to say just any random name just to fill the void.

Renata's Ren friends came over to show off their walking wheel. It was just gorgeous and as much as I wanted to spin beautiful yarns on my first pass, I came across two issues: my arms are too short, and I can't draft with one hand! Well, not yet. Unfortunately the walking wheel's owners are moving to Wisconsin in two days so that was about it for my Walking Wheel experience. But, I hear Jamie has one...

Today I was good. I didn't dye anything or spin anything (although it's already 9:30 pm as I write this so I could start spinning any minute now). I simply went to school and studied for my quiz in the afternoon. I had to concentrate on my Physiology class where we're currently discussing neurophysiology and now muscle physiology. It's all so very interesting to me and I wish I knew what I'd do with all this knowledge I'm accumulating. Yet in the end it doesn't matter. I am enjoying myself immensely. There just isn't enough hours in a day.

I just got this in my mailbox:

YOU ARE LIVING IN 2008 when...

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 3.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.

6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.

7. Every commercial on television has a web site at the bottom of the screen.

8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.

10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your coffee.

11. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. : )

12 You're reading this and nodding and laughing.

13. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this message.

14. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.

15. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't a #9 on this list

:)

No comments: