Monday, October 6, 2008

To Dye For

Remember my first try at crockpot dyeing yesterday? Well these are the results! This is Jacquard Acid Dye in Aztec Gold, drying on the rack in my bathroom. It's been drying all night and basically, it's ready for the next step - which I don't have a clue what at the moment.


A close up of the "shield-your-eyes" shade of gold...boy, it's blinding, isn't it?


So this morning, I started my second attempt - this time using some Sky Blue shade on some of the Sheep Shed mill ends I ordered a few weeks ago. I definitely see that drum carder in my very near future...

Well, we'll have to see what happens next!


I finally have my partner for the Halloween swap over at the Novelty and Art Yarn group on Ravelry and it's Studioloo! I'm pretty intimidated at the moment and already last night, as I spun my first attempt, I knew I sucked at it. I couldn't help seeing visions of her awesome creations dancing inside my head....But, as they say, "Gird your loins!" This is gonna be a fun swap just the same!

Tonight, Fiberfreek and I are heading over to my first ever spinning night with the OC Night Spinners. It's held in the members' homes each month and I'm very excited to be able to go! I don't know which wheel I'm taking - the Fricke or the Julia - because Leo, even though he started learning on the Fricke, has grown to like the Julia because he said now, he's actually "making yarn, not string" anymore. He likes the way he can control the backspin on the Julia with the double treadles.

Tonight, he plans on blending some more of the fiber on his hackle (face it, it's basically his now, right?) so he can spin it. Guess I'm taking my good ol' Fricke then...

2 comments:

fiberfreek said...

Can't wait to hang with you tonite in OC! Your dying is wonderful! Weren't you the one who just this past summer was 'looking into' doing more than drop spindling?! LOL!

Liz said...

It's called "obsession"!

I had so much fun with you last night! See, even I'm speechless at 9 am - not being able to update my blog about last night's fun event! See you tomorrow at Liscat!