Friday, August 8, 2008

Hitcher Is Here

Upon coming home, I found the Hitchhiker waiting for me. It was still all packed up in a box, dropped off by Fedex, and buried in a ton of packing peanuts. After I hoisted it out of the box, it stood by the doorway looking like it was glad to be in its new home.


It took me awhile to get used to the treadling, since it's a full heel-to-toe type of treadle. I had just gotten used to the Joy last night and I guess I need to be prepared to have a bigger and more muscular right leg soon. Thank goodness they share the same bobbin between the Joy and the HH because as I'd already filled up both bobbins (Nancy only gave me 2 bobbins with the rented Joy), I borrowed one of Joy's bobbins and set to work spinning...on the Joy.

But after about 20 minutes, I quite couldn't get it right and so I switched to HH and spun on it for awhile. Hitcher and I may need some time to get along though...but I am getting used to him. Or maybe I'm not used to spinning merino. Merino is tough...so different from corriedale, which was the only fiber I've been spinning since I begun.


While sitting on the couch, I noticed that for the first time ever, there are three wheels in the house, and so I grabbed the camera to snap a group shot. Don't mind the mess...


This is the Copperpot of Ety's Beyond the Realm roving and it is just beautiful on my home made drop spindle. I hope I get to spin like this on the wheel. Any wheel.

Today, while working on a client with the heel of my foot digging into the muscle of his glute (basically, his butt), I experienced my first ever shin splint. When I repeated the same move on the other side, the shin splint happened on the other leg, too. It took me awhile to figure out that the only thing different that I've been doing lately has been...tada! Spinning!

No comments: