Wednesday, April 2, 2008

With Nary A Knit In Sight...

I can't believe I left home for 2 weeks without my knitting. It's still unfathomable that I actually left for the Philippines without a stitch to knit...nada, zilch, nothing! But as I slap myself awake from the thought and the reality that I did leave for the other side of the world without any needles, yarn, or patterns, I do have to admit that I still got to occupy my time with my other things, such as:

ATTEND MY SON'S HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION
Yup, I'm a mom. I've been a long distance mom for a very long time, and finally I got to see my pride and joy accept his diploma after an almost 19-hour airplane ride from Los Angeles. It's a shocking thought, I know...but it's nice to be a mom.


Leo even got to feel how it's like to hold on to one hundred thousands pesos! Never mind, the peso is about 40:1 compared to the dollar, but it's still a helluva a lot of bills, nonetheless.

We got to see and eat more fish and my favorite fruits more than I ever could remember. I would give it a head start by eating fruit upon waking up - after all, there are no fresh mangosteens yet being imported into Los Angeles. I hate the frozen ones.

SEE THE SIGHTS
And then there were the sights - like Chocolate Hills of Bohol, that are natural formations that begun as coral thousands of years ago which were then elevated through the years to form upside down chocolate kisses. My son says they call it chocolate kisses because when it rains, the do look like brown chocolate kisses:


We also went to the white sandy beaches of Boracay island, and I'll post pictures later...

PHILIPPINE TARSIER
Tarsiers are one of the world's smallest primates, small furry adorable creatures that are generally nocturnal, endangered, and have such huge eyes that are actually attached to their skulls, so they have to turn their heads (up to 180 degrees) to see things not right in front of them:


I'm not actually touching them...just pretending - you know, the way they did Lord of the Rings...did they call it perspective? Depth of field? Whatever...honestly, I didn't touch them. You're not supposed to touch them, or use flash photography on them at this preserve.

No comments: