Friday, January 15, 2010

Ready or Not Rasta Hat



When the contractions began in earnest, I distracted myself by knitting a hat, wishfully thinking that it would help me weather the labor pains. It did, until we got to the birthing center...

But there is a time for everything, and so after I delivered my little munchkin, I spent a few hours working on this "bad hair day" hat in my hospital room.  Now be forewarned - this may end up being a gigantic hat - perfect for me and my thick long hair especially when I am having a bad hair day, so if you know you've got a bit smaller head than I do, maybe cast on 10 less stitches :)

READY OR NOT RASTA HAT

Yarn: Lamb's Pride Bulky (Brite Blue) 160 yards or so, about 1-1/3 skeins
Needles: US 10 16-in circulars or DPNs
US 11 16-in circulars or DPN

Using sz 10 needles, CO 60 sts
Work 1X1 rib (k1, p1) for 5 rows
On 6th row, change to sz 11 needles, k1, p1

INCREASE ROW:
7 - *K1, M1 Repeat * to end of row, M1 (120 sts)
8 - K all around

PATTERN ROWS:
9 - *K1, YO, K3, YO repeat*
10 - K
11 - K2, SL1, K2TOG, PSSO *K3, SL1, K2TOG, PSSO, repeat till end of round
12 - K

Repeat 9 - 12 7x or until desired length of hat

DECREASE ROWS:
13 - *K2TOG all around (60 sts)
14 - K
15 - *K2TOG all around (30 sts)
16 - K
17 - K2TOG all around (15 sts)
18 - K2TOG and BO. Weave in ends.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am knitting this hat, and when I get to row 11 (with 180 stitches), there is no last stitch to K1. And advice as to what I'm doing wrong?

Liz said...

Hi mkc,
I think the k1 was from my swatching so you can disregard that last one. But I'll double check it to be sure and post any corrections.
velvet

Unknown said...

Thanks, Velvet. I really do like the hat! Marian

Anonymous said...

on row 11
11 - K2, SL1, K2TOG, PSSO *K3, SL1, K2TOG, PSSO, repeat to last st, K1

am I suppose to repeat from K2, SL1, K2TOG, PSS0 and not do K3 But only do K2 after completing the first set of stitches?
sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm tired lol