Friday, June 19, 2009

A Fiber Anniversary!

It's been an interesting couple of days around here. There's been one huge development that I'm going to get confirmed this afternoon, and after that, I guess you could say that my life will be changing!

I'm still spinning, although a whole lot less than I'd like to. My three wheels are feeling a bit neglected and it makes me realize that when I am after a wheel (or anything for that matter), I love the excitement of the chase more than the acquisition of the prize.

The wheel least use in this house has been the Babe. I just haven't been in the mood to spin uber-bulky yarns these days although that's partly more because of the fact that I like to savor the feel of yummy merino in my hands as I'm drafting it out instead of watching it go so fast as a bulky or super-bulky yarn through the delta orifice and onto the nether world of the bobbin. Where's the fun in that? But really, I guess I've been spinning lots of bulky yarns in the past so I could say this is just a little break...

So the Babe has been sitting in the garage while I've been splitting my time between the S-45 and the Fricke, spinning pretty fine singles on both. On the Louet, I'm enjoying the feel of Lisa's merino roving from Poppy Flower Fibers, and on the Fricke, I'm spinning some merino silk blend from Alpaca Direct that I've had for almost a year now. Come to think of it, June is also my first year anniversary when it comes to spinning! Woot!

This time last year, I had ordered my first drop spindle starter kit from Maine Woods on Etsy, spun (or attempted to spin) while watching Stephen King's "The Fog" and then attended a class with Nancy of Custom Handweaving so I could learn how to drop spindle properly before finding myself at the park facing Ann and her lovely spinning wheel!

This year, the event was held at the same place, El Dorado Park, and this time there were over 70 attendees! There was lots of wonderful food, great people, yarn and fiber everywhere, and of course, wheels! Seven, the alpaca from last year, even came down to visit along with her little sister!

Since then, I've had about 7 wheels come and go, from a Hitchhiker, Louet Julia, Ashford Joy, an antique wheel (missing a bobbin but I didn't even know that then!), Fricke ST-160, Babe novelty bulky spinner and finally the S-45! Whew! That's a lot of wheels! Not to mention the accumulation of fiber!

Anyway, what a year, eh?

No comments: