Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Where's My MoJo?

Hmmm...I can't seem to spin yarn these days. I can't coilspin on my two wheels - only my drop spindle (and that is so exhausting! Just ask my left shoulder and left fingers!) and maybe I'm just being a perfectionist about it, but I can't spin good yarn.

Or maybe I'm just cranky.

But really, I think I'm experiencing yarn envy. Yup, because many other people can make more gorgeous and fun yarns than I can! Which just means that I gotta get off my butt and spin instead of sitting on said butt admiring everyone else's yarns online!

Yesterday I received a treat! This wonderful yarn and trio of dolls from my first ever swap mate, StudioLoo (Cindy). She spins the most amazing yarns and if you check out her website, it's just jawdroppingly awesome! She is my inspiration!


Other than that, the last few days have been kinda...myeh.

Don't get me wrong though. There have been a few accomplishments here and there. For one, I found my choice of fiber dyeing through Ravelry. I'd heard of dry crockpot dyeing, and although I have used the crockpot method to dye yarns, I've never tried the dry powder method. Till now.

To dye, simply sprinkle dye powder (if you're working with acid dyes, make sure the counter is lined with lots of paper or a vinyl/plastic table cloth and you're wearing gloves and a mask) on the bottom of the crockpot dish, layer the fiber on top, then sprinkle your choice of acid dye colors again, then layer with fiber again. Add water and a splash of vinegar and cook on high for 90 minutes.

Of course everything I've been dyeing lately has come up orange and purple. Nothing else. Guess I'm on a purple and yellow streak these days. Must be the season...

And because I can't, for the life of me, coil spin and tailspin in any of my two wheels, I finished this on my drop spindle. Came up with 24 yards and so far, it looks good. I wish I could have spun more but for a first time, it's not bad.


Tonight, I also did this:


Yup, some needlefelting was in order to lift my spirits a bit. It wasn't difficutl. In fact, it was fun.

So really, it hasn't been that bad. :)

2 comments:

The Gravelcat said...

What projects can you do with your art yarns? I love the colors though, so you're doing a pretty good job with those.

Once in a while we all need a vacation from our main obsession, and look at it from a distance in order to fall in love again. Why do you think I have a self-imposed Etsy avoidance? I get so derailed in my fascination alone. The needle felting project was just what you needed.

Liz said...

I ask myself the same question when I start spinning those dang art yarns. And I'm a much better spinner than I am a knitter or crocheter. So half the time, I never really know what's going to come out of the art yarns that I've spun. So most of the time, I give it away.

I hear that you can knit/crochet art yarns as an accent to complement other "normal" yarns. Like the edge of a scarf or a shrug or something. It'll also look good in a purse, too!

I did just get an Ashford Knitter's Loom so there are more possibilities opening up for my art yarns, as well as the acrylic yarns I have sitting in my closet. I haven't taken it out of the box yet - have to slowly prime DH about the newest purchase - but this Thanksgiving weekend, I'm looking forward to playing with it!