Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Really Should Be Studying...




SO, now that I got that out of the way, let's get back to regular programming! Here's my latest October buying spree. At the top is some roving I got from Etsy. It's really just three different colored roving that's braided together I found out. Nothing spectacular...I could have dyed it myself, but it's done, and I've got it. The other two bamboo looking rovings are bamboo merino tops from Flawful Fibers, which are pretty cool! Then there's the dark roving from Gale's Art. The Gale's Art and one of the Flawful Fibers roving are actually from someone on Ravelry destashing her stash...


I also got a vintage 4" Weave-It loom and I'm so thrilled. I got it for $15 postpaid! I can't wait to make some loom blooms for the holidays with it!

So while in pain yesterday I just had to be busy. Sure, I could have studied for my Physiology exam, but noooo...I had to spin. It got my mind off my pain anyway. And so I tried my hand making this...






As if you haven't seen enough coils in your life, huh? Well, this is my first attempt at both needle felting and spinning coils! I used one of my tough serging threads as the core yarn for the coils and went ahead and coiled a newly spun bobbin of three colors. After almost three hours of work - including spinning the singles for the coils - I ended up with...19 yards!

Can you imagine that???? I still can't believe it myself. But at least I got some neat coils! So I really can't complain.

I also decided to try out the hand cards that Jamie lent me. I used the short ends that were left over from Leo's blending of the roving balls and practiced away. It was awkward at first but after watching a few Youtube videos and referring to my Spin Off magazines and the corresponding photos, I think I got it.

I then went ahead and spun it into this yarn. It's a little course and I guess that's because they're all the shorter staples, and since I didn't combine it with any other fiber, like long stapled onese, it has that halo effect and feels a little scratchy, too. Maybe it'll soften up after I soak it...


So, I guess I better get studying, now that I'm sort off done with my fiber distractions. But wait! Let me show you a WIP. This is from my handspun yarn (from copperpot's Beyond the Realm batt) which I'm currently knitting into another tam. It's coming along really great! Now if I can only study and knit it to completion at the same time, life will be grand!

1 comment:

Bee said...

Your art yarns looks so pretty! I can't wait to see what you do with them.

I hope to attend GLASG tomorrow and hope I"ll meet you there.