Friday, October 10, 2008

Don't Be A Slouch!




It's handspun!


And it's a FO!


Woot! I finally finished my second hat! And this time, it fits perfectly! Well, it could be a bit bigger and next time I'm gonna make it way bigger - kf&b every other stitch, then keep on going!

I used my own handspun from Gale's Art on Etsy and had only about 15 inches left of the yarn from the first skein before I tied it close. I love love it! I'm calling this one, "Don't Be A Slouch!" because it isn't exactly a slouchy hat...

On the dyeing front, I dyed my third batch of fiber yesterday, this time dyeing some of the cotswold locks. I really should start experimenting with blending colors because this yellow just ain't gonna cut it. It's like I'm in kindergarten or something and teacher is introducing the Crayola colors all over again.


Not to worry - I'm gonna be a bit adventurous today and attempt to come up with purple!

I'm not going through dyeing the 10-lb box of mill ends as fast as I thought I'd be doing but I'm slowly working on it. Working with a crock pot has its disadvantages - work goes really long and slow since I need to let the fiber "cook" in its dye bath for 3-4 hours and then let it sit to cool for about the same amount of time before I rinse and spin it, then dry on the rack.

Thank goodness, for the first time in my life, I don't want all this stuff done, like, yesterday!

2 comments:

The Gravelcat said...

Ooh -- the hats look yummy. I have to try making one soon. (Actually I need to practice using my dpns more.)

Liz said...

Thanks so much! I actually used 16" circulars, which works great! Only time I used DPN's was when I was finishing the last round before gathering the stitches and binding it off :)