Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Good Score, Mateys!

Maybe I missed Pirate's Day by a day or so, but I still scored like a mad pirate on Friday! Since my wonderful enabler, Nancy, and I trade massages for fibery goodness, I went to collect my trades!

First up is the brand new book Alterknits Felt and since I've been so intrigued by felting, I scooped it up while it had just been freed from the confines of its shipping boxes that arrived that same afternoon. I'm so excited that I can now figure what all this "felting" is all about!


The first I heard of Elizabeth Zimmerman was when NPR talked about her life's accomplishments and after hearing the word "knitting" I wondered why on earth I hadn't heard about her before? Well, when you never venture beyond garter stitch scarves year in and year out, and don't read knitting books (like I didn't back then), then EZ, as she is known, is going to be an unknown to you.

Well, things changed and since then I've been on the lookout for her books, and Nancy had this peeking out from under one of her shipping boxes, and so I scooped that one up, too! I've purchased a newsletter from Schoolhouse Press in the past, the one featuring the Surprise Baby Jacket (or I think that's what it's called), and this time, I get to read all about her life and have her newsletters all in one book. This is The Opinionated Knitter, by EZ!


The yarn, btw, that's blatantly posing along with the books, is my newly spun and plied "Autumn" spun from Gale's Art fiber. This was the first yarn I got to spin on my Fricke spinning wheel, too!

I also scored the following batts from Nancy - well, only two. One was another one of Little Lassie from Crosspatch Creations (psst! she only has 2 left!), and this one, Razzle Dazzle, which Joan of Crosspatch Creations created to commemorate Nancy's 30 years in the business! I think it's beautiful, and since this is the first time I have ever, ever, picked up anything close to yellow, this will be an adventure to spin for me. I've noticed that most of my stash is on the dark side of the color wheel. Your statsh needs some life, mija! Put some sunshine in there!


The next batt is from Yarn Zombie on etsy. This is called Every Little Thing, which she carded literally from every little thing in her stash after scoring an inexpensive yet awesome drum carder off Ebay! I wish I were that lucky! I am putting this batt off to the side, though, as I want to incorporate a few things in it to spin some art yarn and have yet to collect my thoughts, and decide on a theme.


Amidst all this talk about scoring big, I think my biggest score is my dear hubby - who is so patient about all this that the other day he said to me, "I think you should scrap buying hand cards and get the drum carder instead."

Really? I asked, not believing my ears.

"Well," he added. "It's gonna get cold outside and I won't be able to work on the garden. I need something to do indoors."

Do I sense a conversion????

No comments: