Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A-Rockin' And A-Rollin'

It's a rockin' and a rollin' here in SoCal, that's for sure!

Last Tuesday, at 11:40 am, while sorting the laundry (colors from the whites, handknitted socks in the handwash pile...) the ground started shaking.

Calmly I scooped up Truffles and just held her while standing by the doorway and watching the four story building in front of me come to life (I live in a nice 1920's cottage that has a four-story building to the west of it). The tenants dashed out in the balcony in shock and then most of them ran back inside to turn on their TVs to see if it really was what it was.

Yep, it was an earthquake. At 5.4, it was a pretty strong one, but nothing broke in the house. I watched the lamp posts in the garden sway to and fro for minutes after that, and listened as the chimes when on and on and on. Reminded me of the chimes going crazy in the movie "Twister".

Anyway, we're all okay. I have to reacquaint myself with emergency procedures after stuff like this...like check to see if you smell gas, and know what to do from there. But just like any Angeleno who's rocked and rolled with quakes like this, life went on and I started the washer.

I'm going to be stocking up an emergency backpack (interestingly, I've been telling Leo about how I always had an emergency kit somewhere) complete with personal documents, food for 3 days, water, medications, and I have to add, Truffles' food and her favorite froggie toy.

No comments: