Monday, July 21, 2008

Party Time

Well, at least the name of roving, I mean. This is the 12 oz roving I purchased from Village Spin and Weave in Solvang, CA, and it's corriedale roving in Party Time.


I've been spinning it off and on throughout the month of July and I always thought the colors were a wee bit too funky for me. But once I got it around the niddy noddy, it looked mighty fine. Now I'm off to give it a wash, whack it a few times and hang dry.


Outside in my garden the dahlia is blooming! Big time!

I've had this dahlia for about 5 years and the last 3 years, it has been struggling ever since I moved in with Leo. Not having its own sunny garden for 2 years, it hardly bloomed or even flowered. Last year, when we moved into this house with its own garden and deck (where it is right now), I've made sure to give it plenty of attention, sun and water.

And here she is!





On the knitting front, I'm currently working on a lace scarf from a pattern I found on Lion Brand's website for my mom's birthday (that, and she's getting a Galvanic Spa II from NuSkin). I'm using Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Amethyst Heather. It chose to pose next to the roses called "Gemini" that were picked from my garden two days ago.



Non-Knitting Related Observations
This weekend, I taught my level 2 Thai yoga class and it was pretty tiring in many ways. But still it was a lot of fun. Teaching Thai Yoga is very hands on and there really isn't much time to sit and let the students do the work. The teacher has to demo the moves and make sure that the students are doing it right, or are taught adjustments in their positioning to make it work for them, and their clients.

So yesterday, after a long day teaching, I decided to go to Rite Aid and get myself a cone of ice cream. I didn't really want to spring for a gallon or half-gallon because that would mean I'd eat it all. Just two days ago, I discovered my new favorite grocery store down the street, Ralphs, has pineapple pie! And I basically ate most of it...so yesterday, a cone of ice cream seemed like a better idea.

As I perused the flavors, I slipped. I slipped on some dollops of ice cream someone carelessly dropped on the floor and I landed on one knee. No one said anything. It was really weird. When you trip, most of the time, you feel embarassed that someone saw you and that you must have looked silly, but the people in line never paid me any mind. Granted, I got to hold on to a shelf right in front of the ice cream stand, but I still slipped and landed on my knee, twisting it slightly.

The guy behind the counter kept on talking to someone behind him and he didn't even see it. He only realized I was there when I got up off the floor and told him there was ice cream on the floor. But the interesting thing was that the people at the checkout rows never said or did anything.

Reminded me of the incidences we hear on the news about people dying in emergency room floors or getting run over on the street, and people simply walk by, even mop around the body, without doing or saying anything. Now my circumstances are very far from that, but isn't that scary?

Definitely gives one a lot to think about, no?

No comments: