Monday, June 9, 2008

We're Going There...


One day after I gave in and sprayed some toxic stuff on my roses, my order of Fels Naptha finally arrived. I had a feeling, too, that it would arrive the day after I'd give in and just go ahead and spray such toxic stuff to my roses.

But 3 rosebushes were spared from the commercial spray onslaught and now that I have my soap, I'm making the soap and baking soda solutions to get rid of mildew and other stuff that usually plagues roses...well, hybrid roses.

Fels Naptha is an old soap, and although I don't remember it at all while growing up, I've heard so much about it. Besides, I'll be making my own laundry soap, too, which is why I have about 6 bars of soap in the package from Soaps Gone Buy, which also has the recipes you can make with Fels Naptha.


Homemade Laundry Detergent:

First Recipe:
3 Pints Water
1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap
grated 1/2 cup Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer, NOT baking soda though!!)
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
2 Gallon bucket to mix it in 1 Quart hot water
Hot Water

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints hot water and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 Quart Hot Water to 2 gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.



Second Recipe:
1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 cup Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer again)
1/2 cup Borax (20 mule team Borax)
2 Tablespoons Glycerin
2 cups water

Mix first three ingredients together, than add glycerin and water. Use 1/2 to 3/4 cup per load. This one works best in cold or warm water.



Third Recipe:
Water
1 bar grated Fels Naptha soap
5 gallon bucket
1 cup washing soda (Again, Arm and Hammer)
4 1/2 gallons water

Put grated Fels Naptha in saucepan and cover with water. Heat on low until dissolved. Fill bucket with hot water and add soap. Stir to combine. Add 1 cup washing soda and mix well. As it cools, it will thicken. May be used immediately. Use 1- 2 cups per load.



Powdered Laundry Detergen
1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup 20 mule team borax

Mix and store in airtight container or bag. For light loads, use 2 tablespoon. For heavy loads, use 3 tablespoons.

Added 7/2/08: I've been using the Powdered Laundry detergent version and adding 1/4 cup vinegar to the rinse cycle as my fabric softener and to be honest, it works great. There is no vinegar smell at all once the clothes are done in the dryer and they do come out soft and smelling clean. I've used this for all my massage sheets as well and it works great!

No comments: