Saturday, July 4, 2009

Maybe I'll Spin Today...Or Maybe Talk About Movies

Since my 'lil peanut' surprise, I haven't been spinning or knitting much. Just too darn tired and not focused enough to sit that long enough in front of a wheel.

However, I'm not about to let all that pregnancy exhaustion stop me from spinning today. I'm going to spin today, even if it's only a few minutes. I've got lots of yummy fiber lying around waiting to be spun, and if not today, there's tomorrow, where I'm planning on joining Fiberfreek and Janro for some spinning (fingers crossed, of course)!

Yesterday I spent a wonderful day with my BFF Pam who's going through what she's termed "endstage ovarian cancer". We started the day walking along Little India in her search for a certain Chandrika brand soap, which we eventually found at the last store, Ambala Cash & Carry, which had been my first choice to take her to because it's been around the longest in the neighborhood - and a local favorite.

She'd never tried mango lassi and so I took her to Ambala Sweets & Snacks, a lovely vegetarian 'hole in the wall' that's just the best place ever! We each got ourselves a glass of fresh mango lassi (no powdered mangoes here!) and a plate of yummy spinach pakoras - which became the first of my 5-small-meals-a-day pregnancy diet. I'm not supposed to have spicy food, but it was too yummy to resist!

We then had some soup and salad at Mimi's Cafe before seeing the movie, Away We Go. Lovely movie - totally independent, and totally something I would choose over the latest Transformers movie. I'm such a sucker for movies with awesome soundtracks, and this is definitely one of them! Maggie Gyllenhaal is a hoot!

One of the cool things about watching independent movies is definitely the trailers! Remember Third Rock from the Sun? Well, the youngest kid has grown up and he looked pretty cute in 500 Days of Summer, with Zooey Deschanel. Then there's one powerful movie that I can't wait to watch - although I may wait till it goes to video because I hate crying inside the theater - it's called "Precious" and it's based on the novel "Push - by Sapphire", and while it features an amazing unknown named Gabourey Sidibe and a powerful performance by Mo-Nique, it also features - get this - Mariah Carey, who actually is an amazing actress herself!

After the movie, we parted ways wishing we didn't have to leave so soon. I've known Pam since 1997, when I first started massage school and she is one of the most amazing women I've ever known. Full of life and love, she is now fighting for her life against ovarian cancer and after almost a year since she started her fight with surgeries and chemo, she finally lost her hair. But she is still so vibrant and positive, and I love her so much. It reminds me each day to remain positive and always look at the bright side of life - no matter how bleak it may seem...

No comments: