Saturday, June 14, 2008

World Wide Knit In Public Day

Didn't mean to go all glum on you with my last post, so I'm back to the usual posts about fiber and knitting, and life in the present moment. Today was World Wide Knit in Public Day and I went to my first ever knitting gathering. Itwas held at El Dorado Park in Long Beach and there were over 50 people there (I think) who knit and spun while socializing. It was a beautiful day and I got to check out Ann's wheel, which she said some woman lugged all over Europe to get it here to the US. At the end of the day, someone came with her alpaca named Seven. Seven was born on 07/07/07 and hence, the name. We all gathered around Seven, took pictures, petted and ooh'd and aah'd. When I got to run my hand against his side, it was just so cushy soft! There were contests like Knit to the Death and Identify the Mystery Fiber. I didn't bring any knitting needles, but did take my dog, Truffles who took most of my attention. She loves to run after any dog that passes by, thinking in her noble warrior-Chihuahua mind, "I can take'em!" I got to meet tons of people admire lots of yarn and check out some cool wheels. I've got my eye on the portable Ashford Joy, and will be checking prices online pretty soon. What was even cooler was that I got to win a prize! People had brought in stuff for the prize table and with the extra stuff left behind, the organizers figured that they'd be raffled off to the people who were still there, and I won! I picked out this beautiful handspun from I forgot who, but I'll ask Renata and make sure to thank her for it when I see her at a future knitting night, which I found out, happens all throughout the week in various places throughout SoCal. There's even one just a few blocks away from me every Wednesday night. So far it's shaping out to be such a wonderful weekend!

No comments: