Friday, February 15, 2008

A Lone Sock Makes Its Mark...

Two days ago, I set out on a mission. I was going to heed the call of the lone skein of multicolored handpainted sock yarn I had purchased on Etsy that sat forlornly amid many skeins of synthetic yarn - fuzzy, shiny... well, let's not go there.

After my last client left for the day I set out casting on 64 stitches. Why 64? I didn't have a pattern, but when one has read Yarn Rules inside out and from cover to cover, the Yarn Harlot does talk about 64 stitches to cast on for her sock recipe.

And so I set out to knit. I knit for an hour at work, snapped myself out the zen-like state I was in, enough to tidy up the office and drive home. I couldn't stop thinking about the sock. I was so excited. The handpainted skein was pretty excited, too, I bet.

And once home, I set myself down on the couch and knit. And knit. And knit.

This was how it looked like that evening...


The following evening, after suffering from a day of sore shoulders, upper back, elbows and wrists, not to mention stiff fingers from holding my needles with a vengeance, this was how it looked like. BTW, thanks, honey, for the massage! I sure am one lucky knitter...


I looked at the clock. It was 10:00 pm on a Valentine's Day and I was more excited about my sock. And so I set out to knit again...I was going to finish one sock tonight - no ifs, ends, or buts.


After an evening of admiring my new sock, waking up Leo to show him my one finished sock, and dreaming about it. I set out to knit its partner this morning. And grabbed my camera to photograph my first baby in afternoon light before the awe wore away...

No comments: